Matt Smith Says His First Scene With David Tennant Was On The TARDIS



Matt Smith spoke to Vulture at last weekend's San Diego Comic Con about filming the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special with David Tennant and John Hurt. The three will play different incarnations of the Doctor in the celebratory episode which airs on BBC One and BBC America on Saturday 23rd November.

On their first scenes together Matt said:
"Our first scene was on the TARDIS! It was me, David, and John [Hurt] actually, and we were flying the TARDIS. I remember saying to Dave, “Dave, I don’t want to hog all the flying duties.” Literally, you have those conversations. Seriously, I went, “Do you want to fly it for a bit?” We all flew it. He flies his."

He also spoke about how his Doctor gets on with Ten and Rose, saying:
"Well first, [Billie Piper, who plays Rose] is a great friend of mine anyway. We’ve worked together and I’m very fond of her. She’s wonderful. But yeah, bizarrely, if you look at previous Doctor Who stories, they tend to be quite grouchy with each other, but I think Ten and Eleven actually like each other. David and I do in real life as well, and our Doctors are quite collaborative."

David had offered Matt support when he took over as the Doctor, "He just wished me luck, really. He said, “I’m always here to talk, and if you need me, give me a ring.” But it’s always an individual experience where you sort of have to go through the highs and lows on your own. It’s a bit like playing Hamlet. Not to place too much importance on what we do, but it has to be totally an individual response."

Read the Vulture interview with Matt Smith in its entirety here


Keep up to date with all the latest news on the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special here


Comments