The Day Of The Doctor: Joanna Page Confirms Elizabeth I Role



Joanna Page appeared on ITV’s Loose Women earlier today and confirmed that she will be playing Queen Elizabeth I in the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special The Day Of The Doctor. She also spoke about what it was like working on the show so soon after giving birth.

New mother Joanna revealed that she had intended to take a year off after giving birth to her daughter Eva, but the Doctor Who offer was too good to refuse. Joanna made sure that there were conditions to her returning to work early.

“Doctor Who asked..” she said. “You don’t expect three weeks after giving birth for them to phone and say will you play Elizabeth I. I said ‘Yes, OK, but [my daughter]’s coming with me, and I think they knew not to mess with me, I was like a lioness. I was ‘I’m feeding, this is when she gets fed, she’s coming on set, she’s coming everywhere with me’, and that’s what happened. But everyone was just great.”

The filming schedule was adjusted to the new baby’s needs, sometimes at very short notice.

“One day I was about to get on the back of a horse with David Tennant and James, my husband, drove in in the car with Eva, said ‘She needs feeding’ so I got off the horse, got in the back of the car, ripped open the bodice and Elizabeth I was breast feeding! That’s working mum for you.” Joanna said.


Today’s edition of Loose Women is available on ITV Player for the next 29 days.


Joanna can be seen in the new ITV drama Breathless tonight from 9pm.

The Day Of The Doctor stars Matt Smith, David Tennant, Joanna Page, Billie Piper, Jenna Coleman and John Hurt. It will be simulcast worldwide on Saturday 23rd November.

Find out more about The Day Of The Doctor on our website


Comments