Interview: Ben Wilby Talks Nativity 2, David Tennant And Martin Freeman



As Nativity 2: Danger In The Manger! prepares to launch on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK, USA and Australia, we talk to young star Ben Wilby about then film. Ben, aged 11, who plays firm favourite Bob in both Nativity 2 and its predecessor Nativity!, chats about working with David Tennant. Marc Wootton, Martin Freeman and donkeys.







Question:  What was it like working with David Tennant on Nativity 2: Danger In The Manger?

Ben: David was amazing to work with because he was a really nice guy, put you at ease and who made you laugh. He was also very professional.

Q. What was your favourite scene to shoot in Nativity 2?

Ben: Water rafting has got to be my favourite as we all got very wet.

Q. What was the funniest thing that happened on the Nativity 2 set?

Ben: When the donkey was very stubborn and wouldn’t do anything for anyone other than Dan, my class mate pulled him.

Q. How do you keep up with your school work when you are off filming?

Ben: Get my mom to help me...seriously though we have a tutor who works you hard and helps you keep up with your own class.

Q. How difficult was it not to laugh when you were working with Marc Wootton and David Tennant?

Ben: Very difficult as Mr Poppy is crazy

Q. You worked with lots of big stars now, including David Tennant, Martin Freeman, Marc Wootton and Joanna Page. Did they give you any tips and advice? What was the most important thing that you learned?

Ben: The best piece of advice I’ve been given was from Martin Freeman who told me to just "be yourself" and  have fun ..
The most important thing is to be professional at all times, oh and don’t spend all my money on girls!!

Q. Debbie Isitt’s style of filmmaking is based on improvisation. Is this something you enjoy doing? Do you find that experience has helped your acting skills?

Ben: I love Debbie Isitt’s style of work , because it can be a way of expressing yourself in a way scripted work can’t.

Q. Who inspires you? What actor do you most look up to and why?

Ben: My favourite actor is Will Smith as I think he’s pretty cool, but I have a massive adoration for Barbara Windsor. I would really love to work with Ariana Grande.

Q.  How are you finding life at theatre school? What’s the best thing about being there?

Ben: I enjoy the dancing the most as it’s what I’m good at. As you get to dance and sing every day.

Q. You’re a great all-rounder, you not only act but you sing and dance too. Which is your favourite and what would you like to be famous for?

Ben: It’s a hard question as I love everything…but dance is my favourite as I’ve been dancing since I was 4. I would like to be known as the modern day Fred Astaire.

Q. What advice would you give to other young people wanting to get into acting?

Ben: Make your decisions carefully but don’t be afraid to try something new.

Q.  Would you like to return if there is a Nativity 3?

Ben: Nativity 3?...Of course I would return #Boblove


Nativity2: Danger In The Manger! stars David Tennant, Marc Wootton, Ben Wilby, Joanna Page and Jason Watkins. The film is is released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK on Monday 18th November

In the USA the DVD is released on Tuesday 19th November.

In Australia the DVD is released on Wednesday 20th November




Comments