GRACEPOINT: Clues And Suspects - Episodes 1-8
As Gracepoint returns to TV screens in the USA, Canada and Australia after a two-week break, you may need a refresher on the key points and suspects so far.. Read our checklist below.
In episode 8 of Gracepoint, the hunt for Ellie and Joe Miller’s son Tom continued. He was eventually found in the woods close to Lars Pierson’s cabin
Tom admitted to his parents and Detective Carver that he had obtained Lars’ details from Ellie’s casenotes and wanted to confront him about Danny. He wanted to solve the case himself so he could have his mom back.
The Solanos tried to get back to normal but both Mark and Chloe left work and school early.
Renee returned to town to follow up the story about Tom but nobody wanted anything to do with her.
Beth met up with one of the Rosemont parents but what she heard from her left her feeling more distraught and lost
Mark spotted Chloe riding off on Dean’s bike; he and Beth tracked her to Dean’s uncle’s restaurant where they found her dancing and trying to be happy. The family resolved to spending some time together and Beth seems to have accepted her pregnancy
Susan called at the Miller house and presented Tom with Danny’s skateboard. The police arrived at her trailer to arrest her, but she was at the Gracepoint Journal offices where Kathy Eaton was presenting her with what she had found out about her. The police took her from there for questioning.
While Susan was in the newspaper office, Vince Novik kidnapped her dog and threatened to shoot it.
Paul discovered Tom smashing up his laptop outside his house.
After the police could not find a connection between Lars and Tom or Danny, and he was seen on a campsite 50 miles away on the night of the murder, they were forced to release him
An intruder was reported in the Harvey Ridge Hut. When Detectives Carver and Miller disturbed them they made their escape – they were fit and fast and got away easily knocking Ellie to the ground.
During the pursuit at the hut Detective Carver collapsed
- Danny Solano’s body was found on the beach at Gracepoint below cliffs.
- The body was arranged to look like he had fallen. Forensic evidence later revealed that he had been placed there after his death
- Danny was killed at the Harvey Ridge hut. His body was moved 2 miles to the beach, apparently by boat.
- The cause of death was a blow to the head. Danny was facing his killer. There was no sexual element to Danny’s death
- The time of death was between 10pm on the Thursday night and 4am on Friday morning.
- Danny was last seen at home at 9pm on Thursday night
- CCTV picked up Danny riding his skateboard down the main street of Gracepoint a few hours later
- The skateboard was returned to Tom Miller by Susan Wright.
- A cellphone was returned to the family by Jack Reinhold. He says he found it in one of the kayaks.
- Whoever killed Danny moved the body two miles down the coast without being spotted
- The murder scene, Harvey Ridge Hut, was thoroughly cleaned after the murder.
- Mark Solano’s fingerprints were found at the murder scene but he had previously been there to repair a pipe
- Susan Wright has the keys to the hut and cleans it. She initially lied about giving Mark access to the hut to repair a pipe.
- Mark owns a boat which was later found to have spots of Danny’s blood in it
- Mark initially lied about his whereabouts on the night of the murder and asked Vince to lie for him. It eventually emerged that he was with Gemma, but he still has some hours left unaccounted for
- Susan Wright has a skateboard that could be Danny’s stashed in her closet. She later passed this on to Tom Miller.
- $500 was found stashed under Danny’s bed. Chloe Solano claims that this has nothing to do with the cocaine found in her own room.
- Jack Reinhold says saw Danny chatting with Lars Pierson up on the cliffs an short while before the murder. Lars’ cellphone number was found in Danny’s jacket.
- Lars Pierson says he gave Danny the phone number in case he needed someone to talk to. He claims he did not know that Danny was dead
- Tom Miller deleted messages from Danny and the contents of his laptop’s hard drive when he heard about Danny’s death. He later smashed up his laptop.
- Dean Iverson said that he never saw Danny and Tom together. He talked to Danny and he was a lonely kid.
- Phone engineer Raymond Connelly said that the murder involved water and a boat and claims he received the information psychically. He also says that Danny knew his killer.
- Danny’s journal revealed that he had possibly uncovered a secret and that he was scared his dad would kill him.
- Emmett Carver previously failed to solve the Rosemont case involving the disappearance of three children.
- Vince Novik owns shotguns and the floor of the van he drives is stained red
- Danny was caught on CCTV shoplifting from a convenience store, showing a side to his character that his parents cannot believe
- Jack Reinhold had a previous conviction for statutory rape. A similar murder occurred in Oregon not far from where Jack then lived
- Jack recovered Danny’s cellphone and said he found it in one of his kayaks. Ellie did not recognise this as Danny’s phone
- Susan Wright appears to be using an alias. Kathy Eaton uncovered evidence about her secret past
- A boat recovered on fire out at sea was found to have some of Danny’s hairs among the wreckage. It was found to belong to Owen’s family.
- Three cigarette butts of a high tar brand were found on the beach next to the body
- Sara Burke, Ellie’s sister, says that she saw something on the night of the murder
- Tom Miller’s disappearance has the town worried about a serial or copycat killer
- Danny’s phone was set to forward calls to another cellphone
You can vote for your top suspects on the FOX TV Suspect Everyone site. Here’s the main suspects that you’ve ranked in order of guilt.
1. Paul Coates
17% Vote – last week #2
- Local priest Paul missed the kids’ soccer game just before the murder due to a mysterious ‘something’. Danny had also recently given up the soccer team.
- Paul, Beth and Mark knew each other as highschoolers and Beth was Paul’s first kiss. Paul and Beth are close and Paul still carries a photo of them both. Mark does not trust Paul’s motives and thinks he is trying to come between him and Beth.
- Paul vanished from town following high school and eventually reappeared ordained.
- Paul confronted Raymond Connelly and aggressively warned him to stay away from Beth. Connelly says that he knows that Paul and Beth used to be close.
- Paul saw Danny regularly at the Sunday School which he teaches himself, unusually for a priest.
- Ellie spotted Paul outside the church late at night. Paul says he suffers from insomnia but could not offer an explanation. Paul has a straight view of the Solano house from the rectory
- Paul insisted that the police should protect Jack Reinhold. He also preached a sermon shaming those who have brought suspicion on the town. At Jack’s funeral, Paul made it clear that he blamed Carver
- Carver saw Paul sitting with his hand on Tom Miller’s knee
- Paul grabbed another opportunity to talk to the press, this time about the hunt for Tom and Mark’s part in organising it
- Paul was the one who found Tom’s bike and then Tom in the woods
- Paul was walking near the Millers’ house and came across Tom smashing his laptop
- Paul admitted that he had been out on Owen’s boat on a fishing trip
- Paul preached at a church in Spokane and was well liked until he got into barfight with one of his congregation
- Carver discovered that Paul attends Narcotics Anonymous meetings in Winstead. Paul claims this was for painkiller addiction and he had spent some time in rehab and was now clean
- Paul does not have an alibi for the night of the murder. He insists he has no motive to kill Danny
2. Tom Miller
17% Vote – last week #1
- Twelve-year old Tom was apparently Danny’s best friend. As soon as he was alone after learning about Danny’s death he deleted Danny’s texts from his phone and cleared his computer’s hard drive.
- When questioned by Detective Carver Tom admitted that Mark Solano hit Danny.
- Tom went through Ellie’s case notes and found Lars Pierson’s phone number. He has traced the backpacker’s address.
- Tom visited Vince who asked if Ellie knew he was there before shutting them inside his shed. At the time this looked sinister, but were there other reasons for Tom and Vince to meet in secret?
- Although he was supposed to be Danny’s best friend, Dean says that he rarely saw them together.
- Tom and Danny both attended Paul Coates’ Sunday school
- Tom would not have been able to move Danny’s body alone if he was the killer
- Tom blew up at Ellie and said that she didn’t know him anymore
- Carver spotted Tom at Jack’s funeral sitting with Paul Coates who had his hand on his knee
- Tom asked Joe if he could ride the last 3 blocks to school on his own. He did not arrive. He was seen riding his bike out of town but his bike was later found abandoned in the woods. When eventually found Tom said that he had been on his way to confront Lars Pierson, but he had never met him before
- Tom wanted to solve the murder to get his mom back home
- Tom was found carrying one of Danny’s crossword books. He said that this was to remember his friend by.
- Tom was found injured and bleeding, just like Raymond Connelly said
- Susan brought Danny’s skateboard back to Tom after she heard he was home safe
- Paul found Tom smashing up his laptop outside. Tom said Ellie was at work and he thought Joe was sleeping
3. Joe Miller
16% Vote – last week #3
- Joe is a former paramedic who gave up work to support Ellie’s career and look after the couple’s two sons.
- Joe supported Tom in his interview with Carver. He had to be requested not to interfere and to let Tom talk, as if he wanted to steer the conversation in certain directions. Last week he was on the point of talking to Tom in the playground about something that they hadn’t had the opportunity to discuss yet – but then they were interrupted by Ellie. It’s possible that Joe knows what was going on with Tom and Danny that caused Tom to clear his text messages and laptop hard drive. Could he be protecting Tom from the police investigation?
- Joe suggested that Ellie invite Carver round for dinner. Is he trying to befriend the detective to throw him off the scent or genuinely trying to be welcoming?
- Joe was the only person able to extract personal information from Emmett Carver. During their conversation he pointedly asked Carver if he would catch the killer.
- Joe caught Carver trying to talk to Tom about Paul at the wake for Jack. He warned him away and told him that he makes everyone miserable and saw the worst in everyone.
- Joe allowed Tom to travel to school on his own even though he and Ellie had agreed that he would always be watched.
- Joe received Raymond Connelly’s message about Tom from Beth, but he has not passed it on to Ellie.
- Joe was thought to be inside asleep with Dylan while Tom was smashing his laptop and Ellie was tracking the intruder at the hut
4. Mark Solano
11% Vote – last week #4
- Mark’s prints were found at the murder scene, but he had been their recently to fix a pipe.
- Mark was with Gemma on the night of the murder but still has some hours left unaccounted for.
- Mark usually checks on Danny every night before he goes to bed. On Thursday night he failed to do so.
- Danny kept a journal and in it he revealed that he thought he had uncovered a secret about someone. He also worried that his dad was going to kill him – just a turn of phrase or a sign of something more serious?
- Mark has a bad temper and was arrested for a bar fight previously. He attacked a photographer outside his house and also Paul Coates following the priest’s TV appearance
- Under interrogation, Tom Miller confessed that Danny had said that his dad had been annoyed when he’d quit the soccer team and that he’d hit him at least once. Both Joe Miller and Vince Novik were hesitant about admitting Mark was a good guy.
- Mark would not respond to Beth when asked directly if he’d killed Danny.
- Mark dislikes and distrusts Paul Coates. He thinks the minister is trying to come between them. He knew him in high school and graduated the year before Paul and Beth. He spoke of his suspicions to Carver, who followed them up
- His fingerprints were on the phone returned by Jack Reinhold
- Mark’s relationship with Beth has parallels with Jack and his wife. Mark called off the mob who were hounding Jack.
- He knows about Beth’s pregnancy and wants her to keep the baby.
- Mark organised the search party to look for Tom
- Mark tried to return to work but had to leave after he spotted a discarded newspaper with Danny on the front
- Mark told Joe that Danny hated camping after a spider bite made his face swell up like somebody had hit him
- Mark and Beth are trying to act like a family again and move forward
5. Vince Novik
(Stephen Louis Grush)
10% Vote – last week #6
- Vince is the apprentice in Mark’s plumbing firm. He has access to Mark’s van. On the morning of Danny’s murder he was late to pick Mark up.
- Vine attempted to give an alibi for Mark on the night of the murder
- Vince hesitated when asked if Mark is a good guy
- Vince has shotguns hidden in the back of the plumbing van and there are reddish stains on the floor of the van.
- Vince went out around 10pm on the night of the murder to collect his mother’s cough medicine from the pharmacy
- Vince has an unexplained connection to Susan who says that they are in this thing together and have to figure it out. He doesn’t want to talk to her
- Tom visited Vince who asked if Ellie knew he was there before shutting them inside his shed. At the time this looked sinister, but were there other reasons for Tom and Vince to meet in secret?
- Vince makes skateboards in his spare time and the local kids visit him for repairs. Danny also owned a skateboard.
- Vince blocked his own sink to give Mark work. Mark offered Vince $60, but Vince would rather have a promotion and earn more
- Mark volunteered to cook a dinner for the Solano family and their friends, providing some venison that he just happened to have
- Vince led the mob that confronted Jack.
- Despite being short of money Vince raised $500 to bribe Susan to leave town
- Vince had blood on his face and hands and was hiding something in a chest freezer. He told his mother he had been hunting
- Vince threw the brownies that Susan made him in the bin
- Susan told Vince that she knew what he did
- Vince’s mother asked if he was in trouble ‘again’
- Vince threatened Susan and tried to choke her
- Vince took Susan’s dog from outside the Gracepoint Journal offices and later threatened to shoot it with his hunting rifle
6. Susan Wright
9% Vote – last week #5
- Susan is a reclusive woman who lives alone in a trailer but who seems to be always sniffing around and knows what’s going on.
- Susan was not happy about receiving so much police attention and said her neighbours were talking. She told Carver and Miller “You ought to find who you’re looking for”
- Susan works as a cleaner and one of her contracts is the Harvey Ridge hut, where Danny was killed. The hut was cleaned thoroughly after the murder. Susan has the keys for the property. She lied about giving the keys to Mark to repair a pipe.
- Susan has a connection to Vince and wants them to work it out. He wants nothing to do with her and warns her to stay away.
- Susan showed no emotion as she snapped a chicken’s neck
- Susan told Carver that she didn’t recognise Lars.
- Gemma Fisher discovered that Susan may be using an alias and her real name might be Ruth Erlick. She passed the information on to Gracepoint Journal editor Kathy Eaton who confronted her. Ruth later accessed the Journal’s office late at night to threaten Kathy to back off.
- Susan asked Tom Miller to visit her trailer to walk her dog.
- Susan watched as Owen discovered that his boat was missing
- Susan is a heavy smoker
- The police check on Susan revealed nothing out of the ordinary
- Susan made brownies for Vince and took them to his mother. He threw them away
- Susan told Vince that she knew what he did. She tried to bribe her to leave town and also tried to choke her
- Susan was holding Danny’s skateboard in her closet. She returned this to Tom.
- Kathy found evidence about Susan and her husband and child, and something that could not be proved about her.
- Susan was arrested but refused to talk until her dog was found
7. Beth Solano
2% Vote – last week #7
- Beth told Mark that she knows about his affair and that she is pregnant. She fears her marriage may be over. She does not want to keep her baby. She confronted Gemma and smashed up her bar.
- Beth is very close to Paul Coates. They were in the same class in high school and she regularly confides in him. Mark suspects Paul has designs on Beth
- Beth listened to psychic Raymond Connelly. Detectives Carver and Miller later exposed him as a thief and conman.
- Beth says that she recognised Lars Pierson as a customer at the visitor centre. He smelt of propane and asked about her family whom he spotted in a photo on Beth’s desk.
- Beth gave an interview to Renee Clemons about the murder which appeared in the San Francisco Globe. She revealed that she had plans for her life but fell pregnant with Chloe which trapped her in Gracepoint.
- Beth listened to Raymond’s message that Tom was hurt and bleeding and then passed it on to Joe Miller
- Beth met with one of the Rosemont mothers but found no comfort or direction – instead she and Mark have decided to move forward. She also has decided to keep her baby.
- Beth and Paul shared a first kiss in high school
8. Dean Iverson
2% Vote – last week #8
- Dean is Chloe Solano’s older boyfriend. He works in his uncle’s restaurant in the town and is studying to go to college at the same time. Chloe and Dean have been in a relationship for 4 months in secret
- Dean obtained cocaine for Gemma Fisher. He has a dealer even though he claims it’s not something he does regularly
- When Dean saw Carver and Miller coming for him he made a run for it and tried to escape by boat.
- Dean told Carver and Miller that Danny often confided in him and was a lonely and misunderstood kid. He never saw him with Tom Miller.
- Dean says he picked him Danny on the highway walking out of town and Danny begged him for a ride on his bike. When they stopped for gas, Danny stole a puzzle book and pen from the store; this was captured on CCTV.
- Dean took Danny to Mickey’s house when he obtained the cocaine.
- Dean gave testimony to Renee that Jack Reinhold tried to touch the boys when he was a member of the Wildlife Group.
- Dean’s uncle confirmed that he was working at the restaurant on the night of the murder.
- In spite of accusing Jack, Dean still attended his funeral
- Dean collected Chloe from school so she could have some respite from being ‘the dead kid’s sister’.
9. Detective Emmett Carver
2% Vote – last week #9
- Carver is a reluctant resident of Gracepoint and has said that he hates everything about the town.
- Carver has a heart condition which could kill him at any time. He collapsed on the dock while chasing Dean and has had pills delivered to him. He carries an emergency medication in a syringe. Carver also collapsed following dinner at the Millers and was hospitalised. He begged Gemma Fisher to keep this a secret and told Ellie he had fallen in the shower. Carver’s latest incident was his near collapse at Jack’s funeral
- Carver has a dislike of water and being near the sea.
- Carver fumbled his last case in Rosemont where three girls went missing. He wants to wants to solve the Gracepoint case out of penance. Reporter Renee Clemons knows about the case and wants to make sure that he doesn’t mess up this one. She’s keeping close tabs on him, he wants her to back off. Carver has assured Ellie that this case will not be the same as Rosemont
- Carver carries a photo of a young girl in his wallet and when apparent psychic Raymond Connelly told him “She forgives you about the pendant”, he was visibly affected.
- Carver agreed to show the Solano family evidence that he knew would upset them. As they rowed he just stood and observed their reactions.
- Carver was once married and has a teenage daughter called Julianne who still lives with her mother in Rosemont. He has been trying to contact her but she is not returning his messages.
- Carver propositioned Gemma who turned him down
- After the failure of Rosemont and the death of Jack, Carver has been labelled ‘The Worst Cop In California’
- Carver attended Jack’s funeral to watch the residents for anything suspicious. He saw Paul Coates sitting with his hand on Tom’s leg. He tried to talk to Tom but Joe warned him off and told him he saw the worst in everyone and made everyone, including Ellie, miserable
- Carver’s daughter Julianne visited unexpectedly and accused him of caring more about other people’s children than her
- Julianne found Carver’s heart medication in his desk but he played down the seriousness of his condition
- The budget for the investigation has been cut and the Police Chief has suggested that Carver should step down even those he had just assured the public and press that Carver was the best man for the job
- Carver was forced to release Lars even though he felt it was wrong
- Carver questioned Paul and asked him to give DNA. He and Paul clashed over their different outlooks
- Carver dreamt about Dnny, Tom and Julianne stepping off the cliffs
- Carver collapsed during the pursuit at the hut and believed that he was dying
10. Jack Reinhold
2% Vote – last week #10
- Jack is a single man who he runs the kayak rental shop and a nature observation group for the kids of the town. Danny was a member of this group and was due to attend on the morning of his death. When Danny didn't show, Jack did not contact anyone to find out why, assuming that the boy was sick, even though he had never missed a session before.
- Jack saw Danny talking to a man up on Osprey Point a couple of weeks before his murder. Jack was later able to identify the backpacker as Lars Pierson.
- Jack was seen hanging out near the kids’ playground where Ellie was harassed by locals trying to find out whether other children were at risk.
- Jack told Renee that he doesn’t talk to the press.
- Owen Burke discovered that Jack had a previous conviction for sex with a minor, but has avoided appearing on any register of offenders. Under police questioning Jack maintained that this had nothing to do with Danny’s death and he had never harmed any of the children of Gracepoint. There was no sexual element to Danny’s death.
- Jack revealed that his offence was to fall in love with one of his music students, whom he later married. He was still hounded as a paedophile
- Jack turned up at the Solanos house with Danny’s cellphone which he claimed he found in one of his kayaks. Beth and Mark seemed to recognise it, but Ellie is sure that Danny had a smartphone
- Jack later burned all of his photos of the nature group kids
- A similar murder occurred at Cannon Beach, Oregon several years earlier when Jack was living 5 miles away in Arch Cape.
- Jack has no alibi for the night of the murder.
- Jack was found dead on the beach, apparently suicide
- After his death the press admitted that Jack was innocent of any accusations made against him
11. Owen Burke
2% Vote – last week #11
- Small town reporter Owen leaked details about the murder to the media that led to the press invasion
- He is sleeping with San Francisco Globe journalist Renee Clemons. She is using him to get close to the locals. He thinks she can help him hit the big time. He has betrayed his town and his boss Kathy Eaton.
- Owen wrote the article that uncovered Jack Reinhold’s secret past. It was re-written to make Jack look like a danger to local children. Owen refused to help Renee follow up the article and denied that Jack had ever tried to act inappropriately towards him
- Owen’s mom is in debt and she cleaned out his bank account. He is now in debt by over $1000 and the repo men have turned up at his mother’s house. Owen tried to buy her possessions back with money from his article on Jack.
- Owen discovered that his dad’s boat was missing from the shore. This turned out to be the boat that was burned that may have been used to transport Danny’s body.
- Jack was abandoned by Renee after Jack’s death, leaving him to take the blame for the article
- Kathy offered Owen his job back as long as he was no longer working with Renee
- Owen refused to communicate with Renee when she returned to town
- Owen helped Kathy research more about Susan
12. Raymond Connelly
(Adam Greydon Reid)
2% Vote – last week #12
- The phone engineer approached detectives Carver and Miller and Beth Solano with claims that he received psychic messages from Danny. While much of what he has to say is pretty vague, some of his assertions are surprisingly accurate.
- He was working in the police station and would have had opportunities to stumble across information about the case, and the fact that the body was found on the coast is common knowledge. However, his message to Carver hit home with the detective. Did he know Carver from a past case?
- He told Beth that the killer was someone close to Danny. At the time she was suspicious about Marks whereabouts that night
- Paul Coates is concerned about Raymond talking to Beth and has warned him to stay away. Raymond told Paul that he knows how close he and Beth once were
- Raymond was angry that Carver did not take his message about the boat seriously and harassed him after the town meeting. Carver reminded him that nearly everyone in town owns a boat
- Carver and Miller revealed that Raymond is a bankrupt with former convictions for theft and fraud. He was removed from the Solanos home and Carver warned him that he would arrest him if he returned. Raymond’s reaction to this was to throw a tantrum in his car.
- Raymond reappeared in Gracepoint the day that Tom went missing with information about Tom. Tom reappeared bleeding, just like Raymond had said
- Raymond does not have an alibi for the night of the murder
13. Chloe Solano
1% Vote – last week #14
- Chloe has been in a relationship with her older boyfriend Dean for four months but kept this a secret
- Chloe said that she had guessed that Gemma and Mark were sleeping together. She texted Gemma to get her to tell the police where Mark was that night
- Chloe’s boyfriend Dean supplied cocaine on her request for Gemma. Chloe insists she knew nothing about the $500 and that Danny had nothing to do with the drugs deal. It later emerged that Danny had travelled to the dealer’s with Dean.
- Chloe was the family member through whom Renee made contact with the Solanos. She was upset that Danny’s case had not been reported in the papers enough.
- Chloe heard about Beth’s pregnancy by listening outside the door and wants them to keep it
- Chloe supported Dean to make claims about Jack Reinhold
- Chloe attended Jack’s funeral although she said she didn’t like him and encouraged Dean to talk to Renee about him
- Chloe found school too difficult to bear and asked Dean to collect her. She said she is tired of being ‘the dead kid’s sister’. She and her family are trying to move forward.
14. Detective Ellie Miller
1% Vote – last week #14
- Ellie finds it hard to accept that any of her friends and neighbours might be guilty of Danny’s murder but under Carver she is starting to scrutinise the people around her more closely
- Ellie cannot be 100% sure that Mark Solano is innocent.
- Ellie is the mother of Tom, Danny’s best friend, who seems to be acting suspiciously since the murder. Was Ellie aware of a situation between Danny and Tom?
- Ellie reluctantly invited Carver to dinner on Joe’s request
- Ellie had the idea to release Lars Pierson’s photo to the park service. Carver actually agreed with her
- Ellie does not recognise the phone that Jack found as Danny’s
- Ellie confronted Carver about the Rosemont investigation
- Ellie was asked out on a date by Hugo, but declined on the grounds that she is happily married to ex-paramedic Joe
- Ellie’s sister Sara is in serious debt and has a lot of problems. She says that she saw something on the night of the murder but wants Ellie to pay her for the information.
- Ellie insisted on being present at Lars’ interview and threatened to hurt him if he had done anything to Tom. Like Carver she was against Lars’ release
- Ellie was dismayed to hear that Tom had tried to solve the case herself to bring her home sooner
- Ellie was with Carver when he collapsed during the chase and now realises that he is seriously ill
15. Gemma Fisher
1% Vote – last week #15
- Gemma asked Chloe to find her some cocaine for some guests at the inn
- Gemma stepped in to secure Mark Solano’s release from custody by telling the police that he was with her that night. She claims he left her a few hours before Mark says he arrived home. Beth smashed up her bar in revenge for the affair.
- Gemma confided to Carver that she takes anti-depressants
- Gemma discovered that Susan Wright is using a false name when her employment records came up as Ruth Erlick. For some reason she chose to pass this information to Kathy Eaton
- Gemma accompanied Carver to hospital after his collapse by saying that she is his wife. She has promised to stay quiet about the incident on condition that he gets treatment
- When Carver propositioned Gemma she turned him down, on the grounds that he might collapse again
- Gemma refused to let Renee back into the inn when she returned to town
16. Renee Clemons
1% Vote – last week #16
- Renee is fairly new to the San Francisco Globe. She joined them after reporting on the Rosemont case
- Renee showed up in Gracepoint as soon as she heard that Emmett Carver was leading the investigation. She followed his last case and essentially seems to be stalking him and his career. She is determined not to let him forget Rosemont and to get justice for the missing girls and their families.
- Renee slept with Owen and is using him to get information about the people of the town. She knows Owen is related to Ellie Miller
- Renee persuaded Owen to write the article about Jack Reinhold. When the paper portrayed Jack as a dangerous paedophile, Owen refused to help her any more, but she still managed to get more information from Dean
- Renee got an exclusive interview with Beth Solano after she portrayed herself as a well-meaning friend to Chloe
- Renee fled Gracepoint after Jack’s death
- Renee returned to Gracepoint on hearing of Danny’s disappearance. She was cold-shouldered by everyone and had to sleep in her car
- Renee put Beth in touch with a parent from Rosemont
17. Hugo Garcia
1% Vote – last week #17
- Hugo and his team have uncovered key points of evidence. As CSI on the murder case, Hugo would be perfectly placed to tamper with, create or lose evidence. But what would be his motive?
- Hugo found the phone number on a strip of paper found inside the lining of Danny’s sweatshirt which turned out to be Lars Pierson’s
- Hugo’s work on the burned boat revealed that the boat had an engine but this was removed before the fire was deliberately started. Strands of Danny’s hair were found among the wreckage. The burned boat was a likely match for Owen’s father’s boat.
- Hugo found three cigarette butts of an unusual high tar brand in the sand by Danny’s body
- Hugo asked Ellie Miller out on a date; she declined
18. Kathy Eaton
1% Vote – last week #18
- Kathy is the editor of the local paper in a town where very little happens. Kathy seems to have been a well known reporter once, working on a major paper, but has stepped back to run the local journal in a sleepy little town. A big murder story could certainly raise her profile again
- Kathy wants to do right by the town and the Solano family – she set up the condolence book and she just wants to make sure that the story is all covered properly.
- Kathy confronted Susan about her apparent name change. Susan threatened her with rape to make her back off. Kathy informed Ellie Miller of this.
- Kathy was furious about Owen’s article about Jack Reinhold. However, told him he could return to the paper when he had sorted out the business with his mom – as long as he had finished working with Renee
- Kathy was surprised that Ellie was not dealing with her claims about Susan herself
- Kathy uncovered evidence about Susan’s past and her family that immediately made her a suspect. She invited Susan to her office to confront her and called the police who arrested her.
- When Renee returned to the Gracepoint Journal office in search of information about Tom’s disappearance, Kathy threw her out
19. Lars Pierson
1% Vote – last week #19
- Lars was seen by Jack talking to Danny on the cliff top a few weeks before the murder
- Lars’ cellphone number was found inside Danny’s sweatshirt. Lars explained he gave it to Danny so he could have somebody to talk to
- Lars is a discharged Afghanistan vet. He has been prescribed Risperidone, possibly for PTSD. He has not been taking his medication, he says he prefers to hike instead. He said he hated feeling traumatised
- Lars returned to Gracepoint the same day Tom disappeared. Tom was last seen cycling in the direction of Lars’ cabin
- A search of Lars’ house revealed guns and unopened medication
- Beth recognised Lars as a customer at the visitor centre. He asked about campsites and hunting permits and smelled of propane. When he spotted a photo of Danny and Chloe on her desk he remarked upon her beautiful family.
- Under interview Lars appeared confused and detached. He was only clear and focused when talking about Danny. Lars recognised Danny’s photo and recounted their conversation about a crossword clue. He asked Carver if Danny was dead
- Lars appeared not to recognise Tom and only said that he was a good looking boy and he looked like Ellie. Tom confirmed that he’d never met Lars before.
- Lars was at a campsite 50 miles away on the night of the murder
- Carver and Miller had to let Lars go, reluctantly, although he was taken into local police custody.
20. Sara Burke
1% Vote – last week #20
- Sara is Ellie’s sister and Owen’s mom. She is in some sort of trouble – she goes to a support group and she is in debt
- Sara cleaned out Owen’s bank account. The repo guys have removed all the furniture from her house
- Sara knew where her ex-husband’s boat was moored
- Sara told Ellie she saw something on the night of the murder, but she wants Ellie to lend her $1000 before she reveals her secret
You can vote for your number one suspect on the Fox TV Suspect Everyone page. Cast your vote and check the results in the online poll – and you can vote as many times as you like, so you can change your mind when new evidence arises. The site will soon allow you to examine evidence and vote for important clues. Don't rule anyone out!
Episode 9 of Gracepoint premieres tonight on Fox in the USA and Global in Canada at 9pm ET. Viewers in Australia can watch on the Universal Channel at 8.30pm, Friday 5th December.