PHOTOS: David Tennant & Billie Piper In Doctor Who - Tooth And Claw #ThrowbackThursday
This week's Throwback Thursday takes a look back to 2006 and the first historical episode of Doctor Who for David Tennant's Tenth Doctor - Tooth And Claw.
The Doctor and Rose meet Queen Victoria whilst she is visiting Scotland in 1879. Unbeknown to the Queen, a band of Warrior Monks have taken over Torchwood Estate and are making plans to gain control of the British Empire. When the full moon rises the monarch and her entourage come under threat from a creature straight out of mythology.
- Filming locations included Tredegar House in Newport, Treowen Manor in Monmouth, Llansannor Court in Glamorgan and Penllyn Castle in Cowbridge with Gelligaer Common standing in for the Scottish moorlands.
- The CGI werewolf was a created by the special effects team at The Mill.
- David Tennant’s parents stood in for Lady Isobel and Captain Reynolds during the read through. “They were in seventh heaven,” recalls David.
- The story sees the birth of the top secret organisation Torchwood. They were instrumental in the final double episode of the series (Army Of Ghosts / Doomsday) and fed into the spin off series later in 2006.
- The Doctor adopts the alias James McCrimmon in this episode, a reference to the brave Highlander who became companion to his second incarnation. He also claims to come from Balamory, the fictional village in the popular children's TV show of the same name.
- This is the only time that David Tennant played the Doctor using his native Scottish accent.
- The initial meeting between the Doctor and Queen Victoria initiates the running joke of the Tenth Doctor saying, "No, no, don't do that," to discourage his companions from attempting local accents. Martha in The Shakespeare Code and The Infinite Quest and Donna Noble in The Unicorn and the Wasp and Midnight have both been chastised by the Doctor.
- This is the first time the Doctor has been officially knighted, The Fifth Doctor was, however, knighted by the robot Kamelion, impersonating King John I in The King's Demons (1983).