Marvel's Jessica Jones: Things We've Learned From New York Comic Con
Most of the cast of the new Netflix exclusive series Marvel's Jessica Jones attended New York Comic Con today to launch the show. Sadly the one non-attendee was David Tennant himself who was forced to pull out due to work commitments back in the UK. However, Krysten Ritter, Mike Colter, Carrie-Anne Moss, Rachael Taylor, Will Traval, Erin Moriaty and Eka Darvill all took part along with showrunner Melissa Rosenberg.
The cast took part in a signing session followed by a live online chat on the Marvel Live stream. This was followed by the Marvel on Netflix panel. David Tennant sent a short video message before the packed room were treated to the full first episode of the show which will be released exclusively on Netflix along with the other 12 episodes on November 20th.
Here's what we've learned during the panel:
- Melissa Rosenberg, who adapted the show from the original Alias comic book series by Brian Michael Bendis, has been working on the scripts for about 4 years.
- Carrie-Anne Moss's character is confirmed as Jeryn Hogarth, a lawyer who isn't exactly friendly towards Jessica but they both gain from their relationship with one another. Origianlly a man in the comics, Hogarth potentially links the show to the fourth Defenders miniseries - he works for Wendell Rand, father of Danny, a.k.a. Iron Fist.
- Carrie-Anne Moss promises some surprising twists and turns in the plot. She says she said "I can't believe that happened!" during every script!
- Rachael Taylor says there is a rich friendship between Jessica and Trish and Krysten Ritter can take a dark and emotional story and still make it sassy and fun.
- Mike Colter says he shot Jessica Jones and his own show Luke Cage back to back. He also says that the worlds of the two shows are very different.
- Krysten Ritter on David Tennant: "David Tennant is magic, and watching him work I learned a lot from him and his performance and range. He could be funny and then incredibly vulnerable and scary with just one small turn. He’s also a joy to be around, one of the best scene partners I could ever ask for."
The first episode as promised indicates a dark psychological thriller is in store. Krysten Ritter is absolutely perfect in her role; in fact all of the cast are excellent. It's certainly adult in tone and more of a slow-building thriller than an all-action superhero spectacular but it will definitely grow into something very gripping and very special. Although David Tennant does not make a full appearance in episode one, what is seen of him is absolutely terrifying - Kilgrave is going to be an unforgettable villain.
Marvel’s Jessica Jones stars Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones, David Tennant as Zebediah Kilgrave, Mike Colter as Luke Cage, Rachael Taylor as Trish Walker, Carrie-Anne Moss as Jeryn Hogarth, Eka Darvill as Malcolm, Erin Moriaty as Hope and Wil Traval as Detective Simpson. Jones is a traumatised former superhero turned private detective whose life is due to be disrupted by the return of a dark figure from her past. The show premieres on Netflix on Friday 20th November with all episodes released simultaneously at 12.01am PT, 8.01am GMT.