Doctor Who: 10 Years Of The Tenth Doctor: New Earth
To celebrate the fact that it's ten years since David Tennant's first series of Doctor Who, we'll be taking a look back at his episodes.
First Broadcast on 15th April 2006. Running Time: 45 Minutes. Viewing Figures: 8.62 million.
Written By Russell T Davies.
Directed By James Hawes.
Executive Producers Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner.
The Doctor & Rose board the Tardis for new adventures. When they visit mankind's new home, far into the future, they find gruesome secrets hidden inside a luxury hospital. Cassandra, an enemy though long since dead, is out for revenge.
Extras: Promotional Photos | Screen Caps | On Set Photos | Videos | Articles | MP3 Commentary
Outdoor shots were filmed on the Gower Peninsula for this episode. The interior of the hospital was actually the foyer of the Millennium Centre in Cardiff Bay, Newport's Tredgar House and a disused paper mill also in Cardiff.
Due to bad weather filming was delayed and it was months before certain scenes could be re-shot which then caused problems as David's and Billie's hair had grown longer in the time between.
The coat worn by David Tennant is made from the same material as a sofa.
- Cassandra (as the Doctor): Well... this is... different...
- Rose: Cassandra?
- Cassandra (as the Doctor): Goodness me, I'm a man. Yum.... So many parts... And hardly used. Ahaaahh! Two hearts! Oh baby, I'm beating out a samba!
- Rose: Get out of him!
- Cassandra (as the Doctor): Ooh, he's slim... and a little bit foxy. You thought so too, I've been inside your head. You've been looking. You like it.
- The Doctor: Ward 26. And watch out for the disinfectant.
- Rose: Watch out for what?
- The Doctor: The disinfectant!
- Rose: The what?
- The Doctor: The disin... oh, you'll find out.
- The Doctor: Nice place. But no shop downstairs. I'd have a shop. Not a big one, just a shop so people can shop.
- Sister: This hospital is a place of healing.
- The Doctor: Well, a shop does some people a world of good. Not me, but other people.
- Several scenes set in the hospital were filmed in the foyer of Cardiff's Millennium Centre. As a neat tie-in, the Centre was subsequently used to host the press screening of the episode. The party scene at the end was filmed at a dim sum bar just around the corner!
- Former Casualty actress Adjoa Andoh went from playing a Cat Nun in this episode to Martha's mum Francine Jones in Series Three.
- New Earth is the first story to refer to a 'little shop', a running gag that would reoccur in both Smith & Jones and Silence In The Library. The Doctor likes a little shop...
- If you look closely at the location at the start of the episode, you can still see traces of the words "Bad Wolf" on the tarmac, left over from filming The Parting Of The Ways.
- The Tenth Doctor's catchphrase, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," is first used in this episode.
- This is the first Doctor Who episode to have an accompanying TARDISODE - a mini prequel teaser clip available to download to mobile phones and online.
- Rose refers to Cassandra as "Michael Jackson", something she also did in The End of the World.
- Unrelated planets or systems called New Earth have featured in the television adventure Invasion of the Dinosaurs (1974), comic strips The Iron Legion and Dogs of Doom and the novels Time of Your Life and Synthespians™.
- Feline races have featured in Doctor Who before. These include the Tharils in Warrior's Gate (1980) and the Cheetah People in Survival (1989).
- Zoe Wanamaker makes her first on-screen appearance in Doctor Who here, having only featured as Cassandra's voice in The End Of The World.
- David Tennant - Tenth Doctor
- Billie Piper - Rose Tyler
- Camille Coduri – Jackie Tyler
- Noel Clarke – Mickey Smith
- Zoe Wanamaker – Cassandra
- Sean Gallagher – Chip
- Doña Croll – Matron Casp
- Michael Fitzgerald – Duke of Manhattan
- Lucy Robinson – Frau Clovis
- Adjoa Andoh – Sister Jatt
- Anna Hope – Novice Hame
- Simon Ludders – Patient
- Struan Rodger – Face of Boe