WORLD PREMIERE: David Tennant & Catherine Tate Host Shakespeare Live! Tonight From Stratford-upon-Avon
Tonight will see the world premiere of Shakespeare Live!
Hosted by David Tennant and Catherine Tate, and screened live from the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon, this star-studded show marks 400 years since the death of the Bard and celebrates Shakespeare’s plays and their enduring influence on music, dance, opera, musical theatre and comedy.
RSC Artistic Director, Gregory Doran, has assembled a once-in-a-lifetime cast, including Dame Judi Dench, Dame Helen Mirren, Sir Ian McKellen, Joseph Fiennes, Benedict Cumberbatch, Meera Syal, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Al Murray, Alison Moyet, Noma Dumezweni, Ian Bostridge, Rufus Wainwright, Tim Minchin, Paapa Essiedu, Pippa Nixon, Alexandra Gilbreath, Akala (Hip Hop Shakespeare), The Royal Ballet, English National Opera (ENO), The Orchestra of the Swan, and Birmingham Royal Ballet, to perform in a unique tribute to the genius and influence of the world’s greatest playwright and storyteller.
HRH Charles, Prince Of Wales and Camilla, Duchess Of Cornwall will be in attendance.
Talking about the show David Tennant said: "Shakespeare Live! is a kind of variety bill. We've got some of the greatest classical actors around. Judi Dench will be there, Ian McKellen will be there. Live performance is what Shakespeare is all about. We have opera, we have ballet, we have hip-hop - all celebrating Shakespeare and what he's done for our cultural heritage."
The show will be broadcast live in the UK on BBC Two tonight, from 8.30pm and will be screened live to cinemas in the UK.
Watch it where you are:
- UK: the show will be broadcast via most major cinema chains this evening - check here for details
- Europe: the show will be distributed by Picturehouse Entertainment - locations and times vary
- Canada: Cineplex will stream the show on Thursday 26th May with an encore on Sunday 5th June.
- USA: screening on Tuesday 24th April - tickets are on sale now through Fathom Events here
- Australia: the show will air in cinemas on 6 May - check for screenings here